Man ejected from Commons gallery

p4180UK-News-5-1

Published: Wednesday 22nd October 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

A man was pulled out of the public gallery in the House of Commons today after causing a disturbance during Prime Minister’s Questions.

A bang was heard as though something had hit the glass screen, introduced to prevent objects from being hurled into the chamber.

It was not clear what, if anything, was thrown.

The man struggled when approached by door keepers, but he was easily removed from the gallery and the incident did not interfere with the session.

In 2004, Prime Minister’s Questions was suspended for more than 70 minutes and MPs were evacuated because of a demonstration, for which the group Fathers 4 Justice later claimed responsibility.

Protesters were grabbed by security as a cloud of purple dust was thrown from an area of the public gallery reserved for MPs’ guests and notable visitors and floated down into the chamber. It hit then-prime minister Tony Blair on the back.

The disturbance came just weeks after a £600,000 screen was installed in front of the rest of the public gallery amid fears of a possible terrorist attack.

MPs approved that security measure after then-Commons leader Peter Hain warned that spy chiefs had told the Government of a specific threat to the House. He said security officials had warned anthrax could be used.

It later emerged the protesters had been signed in by a peer.

Published: Wednesday 22nd October 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search