Man ‘tried to fight off Libyans’

p38745UK-News-9-1

Published: Thursday 7th May 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

A man allegedly raped by two Libyan soldiers told police he desperately tried to fight off his attackers but they overpowered him.

Moktar Ali Saad Mahmoud, 33, and Ibrahim Abugtila, 23, deny raping and aiding and abetting the rape of the man in his 20s on Christ’s Pieces in Cambridge on October 26.

The pair were arrested while undergoing training at Bassingbourn Barracks in Cambridgeshire as part of an agreement by the British Government to help war-torn Libya after the 2011 collapse of Muammar Gaddafi’s regime.

Cambridge Crown Court has heard the pair acted like “hunting dogs”, picking off a victim who was drunk and vulnerable after a night out.

In video footage recorded at the scene by officers who attended the incident, the victim said he had been targeted by “some random guys” who did not speak English as he walked through the city alone.

The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, told the officers: “I cannot believe what I’m saying, they raped me. It was horrible, I feel horrible. Don’t say anything to my mum.”

In a later interview he said “three Arab guys” had raped him.

Describing them as “animals”, he added: “I was trying my hardest. I was trying my hardest and they were like overpowering me.

“They pushed me down on the floor. They wouldn’t let me leave.

“I don’t understand what they were talking about … obviously not English. Just talking shit in my ear.

“I was like, ‘leave me alone’. I smell of him, I can smell him.

“He blatantly held me down and tried to put it in my bum and I was fighting really hard and he couldn’t put it in me because I was fighting. I was like, ‘what are you doing?’.

“Then his other mate tried to beat me up. His mate was trying to hit me in the face.”

At one point in the interview, he stopped to ask the officers: ” Have I caught something from them?”

The two rapes are said to have taken 38 minutes and the victim contacted police to report the attack minutes after the men fled.

Earlier the court was played the 13-minute 999 call.

The man is heard saying: “I’m really scared, can you just come and meet me please.”

Opening the case, prosecutor John Farmer described how the accused met their alleged victim, a “complete stranger”, in the centre of the city at 3.26am.

Mr Farmer said: “They behaved like two hunting dogs who had seen a wounded animal.

“They effectively took him over and, initially not using too much force and later more forcefully, kept him going in the direction they wanted him to go.”

Mr Farmer said both accept they had sex with the man but say he consented. They say he made up the allegation after stealing money from them.

Three of their fellow soldiers were also arrested around the same time in connection with unrelated sex offences in the city and are awaiting sentencing after admitting their crimes.

This coincided with other concerns over the conduct of Libyan cadets training at the base.

The incidents prompted the Ministry of Defence to send 300 soldiers back to their home country prematurely, ending an agreement to put 2,000 soldiers through basic infantry and junior command training in an attempt to help rebuild the troubled nation.

Later in the interview, the man told officers: “They were horrendous, they weren’t human. They weren’t human people. They were horrendous people, they were sick people.

“They don’t deserve to live, they shouldn’t be alive.”

Published: Thursday 7th May 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search