Man who fatally stabbed cyclist in ‘entirely random’ attack sent to Broadmoor

Published: Thursday 12th November 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

A man who killed a cyclist, stabbing him 20 times with a knife in a random and motiveless attack, has been sent to Broadmoor indefinitely.

Jason Voong, 29, repeatedly knifed Tom Rogers, 60, and five weeks earlier also attacked Leanne James, 24, hitting her over the head with a snooker cue.

Both random attacks – which Voong has never denied – took place on a cycle path around 100 yards from the railway station in Swindon, Wiltshire, in May and June last year.

Earlier this week, a jury at Bristol Crown Court found Voong guilty of Mr Rogers’s manslaughter by reason of diminished responsibility and of wounding Miss James with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Voong, of Southbrook Street Extension, Swindon, was acquitted of the charges of murder and attempted murder.

Dr Samrat Sengupta, a consultant forensic psychiatrist at Broadmoor, told the court that Voong was suffering from simple schizophrenia and that a hospital order with a restriction was the most suitable outcome.

“The prognosis in this case is very poor and he will require hospital treatment for years to come,” he said.

“It would be very dangerous to release this man into the community without treatment.

“The type of schizophrenia that Mr Voong suffers from is so rare and uncommon it is difficult to predict.

“It is possible that he will remain in hospital indefinitely.”

Judge Neil Ford QC, the Recorder of Bristol, told Voong that his attacks were “entirely random and without motive” and he was making an order under the Mental Health Act with a restriction order.

“You had decided you were going to attack someone and on the night of May 8 you took your opportunity and attacked Leanne James,” he said.

“About seven weeks later you returned to the same location taking with you a dreadful knife which can only be described as a dagger.

“Tom Rogers was cycling home from work and you attacked him in an extraordinary brutal way, fatally stabbing him to the chest and neck 19 or 20 times.

“There is no evidence you specifically targeted your victims, you didn’t know either of them.

“There is no motive for these attacks and you took no steps to cover your tracks.

“You are unable to explain to why you acted the way you did.

“You are a man who is entirely devoid of conscience, remorse and empathy.

“You are entirely void and incapable to understand the terror and pain of your victims and the impact upon their families or the impact upon your own family.

“You have not expressed any regret or any appreciation of the impact of your offending upon anyone and that is wholly because of your illness.

“You have absolutely no conception that you are mentally ill.

“I have no doubt that you are seriously mentally ill and in your present mental condition I have no doubt at all you are an extremely dangerous person.

“I am satisfied that there is a risk of you committing further offences if you are discharged from hospital and there is a clear need to protect the public from the risk of serious harm from you.

“There is a possibility in this case that Mr Voong could remain in a secure hospital for indefinitely and could only be released from a therapeutic setting if after the most careful consideration and assessment that he is no longer a danger to the public.

“He could be returned to hospital should his mental condition deteriorate and he presents a danger to the public.”

The trial heard that Miss James was walking to her home in Rodbourne from her work at a marketing firm in Swindon town centre at 10.30pm on May 8 when she was attacked.

Voong hit her several times on the head with a snooker cue before repeatedly punching and kicking her as she lay on the ground.

During the terrifying assault he also stole her mobile phone.

It is not known why Voong stopped his attack but prosecutors suggested he was spooked by Miss James’s phone ringing.

Five weeks later, on the same path, Voong attacked Mr Rogers, who was cycling home from his shift in a pub kitchen.

A knife was located close to the scene of Mr Rogers’s death and blood recovered from the blade matched his and forensic experts also found Voong’s DNA.

Four days later Voong was arrested and at the police station he refused a solicitor, saying: “I know what I have done.”

Detective Superintendent Sean Memory said: “I am satisfied with the outcome of this case and the sentence that’s been passed down today.

“Although Mr Voong was suffering with a recognised mental disorder it is clear that he is a violent and dangerous man.

“I hope this sentence goes some way to comforting Leanne and Tom’s family.”

Published: Thursday 12th November 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search