Minister condemns Kenya bus attack

p9605UK-News-8-1

Published: Saturday 22nd November 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Foreign Office Minister Hugo Swire has condemned a terrorist attack in north-east Kenya which killed 28 people.

The dawn attack on a bus near the Kenya-Somali border is believed to have been carried out by militant group al-Shabab.

Gunmen shot a rocket-propelled grenade at the bus to stop it, and then separated and killed passengers who appeared to be non-Muslims.

Mr Swire said: “I strongly condemn the attack that took place in Mandera county, Kenya, today, killing 28 people. I offer my condolences to the families and loved ones of those who died.

“There can be no place for such senseless acts of violence in our societies. The UK stands by the Kenyan government in its fight against terrorism and in its efforts to bring those responsible for this barbaric act to justice.”

Some of the dead were public servants who were heading to Nairobi for the Christmas holiday.

Kenya has been hit by a series of gun and bomb attacks blamed on al-Shabab, who are linked to al Qaida, since it sent troops into Somalia in October 2011.

Authorities say there have been at least 135 attacks by al-Shabab since then, including the assault on Nairobi’s upmarket Westgate Mall in September 2013 in which 67 people were killed. Al-Shabab said it was responsible for other attacks on Kenya’s coast earlier this year which killed at least 90 people.

Published: Saturday 22nd November 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search