‘Miracle’ Ashya flies back to UK


Published: Friday 3rd July 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Brain cancer survivor Ashya King has returned to the UK with his parents 10 months after they took him out of hospital and sparked an international manhunt.

The five-year-old, who made a “miracle” recovery after receiving proton beam therapy in Prague, said he was “excited” to return home and wished to see his grandmother, according to the Sun.

His parents Brett and Naghmeh King initially said they feared to return because their son could be taken into care but the pair now say they have “no reason to hide”.

Mr King, 52, told the paper: “We just have to face up to the situation now. We would like nothing to happen an for us to be able to get on with our lives.

“We shouldn’t have to be afraid – and that’s why we won’t go on living like refugees in a different country for no reason.

“We feel sufficiently assured by Portsmouth City Council that it’s all finished. However, we do have a lingering fear that one day we will get a knock on the door.”

He added the family’s “conscience is clear” following their decision to take Ashya out of Southampton General Hospital without doctors’ consent and seek treatment elsewhere.

Police launched an international search for the parents at the end of August last year and t he Kings were arrested in Spain a few days later, spending several nights in prison away from their son before being released.

A High Court judge approved the move to take Ashya to Prague for proton therapy, which the Czech Republic’s Proton Therapy Centre said is more effective than the radiotherapy Ashya was being offered on the NHS.

It limits the collateral damage of radiation to other vital organs, such as the heart and liver in Ashya’s case. This would lead to less severe long-term side-effects including heart and breathing problems.

The therapy was not offered to him on the NHS, although the health service later agreed to fund Ashya’s treatment.

His grandmother Patricia King has previously described the authorities’ handling of the case as a “huge injustice”.

Published: Friday 3rd July 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search