Mystery over fate of Sun page three

p19744UK-News-8-1

Published: Monday 19th January 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Campaigners against The Sun’s page three topless pin-ups are hopeful that they have finally persuaded the tabloid to drop the feature.

The newspaper has not published a picture of a bare-chested model on page three since Friday.

The Guardian reported that it had spoken to “a series of insiders” who said the feature has been dropped.

The dropping of page three topless pictures has been falsely rumoured in the past.

Dylan Sharpe, head of public relations for The Sun, posted a ambiguous message on Twitter which read: “Page 3 will be in The Sun tomorrow in the same place it’s always been – between page 2 and page 4.”

The No More Page 3 protest group wrote a message on its Facebook page which read: “Wow.. we’re hearing The Sun may have dropped Page 3.

“This could be truly historic news and a great day for people power.

“We don’t know the details for sure and there’s still lots to be done. But this could be a huge step for challenging media sexism. And we are so incredibly grateful to all of you who stood up and said No More Page 3.”

News Corp boss Rupert Murdoch asked his Twitter followers for their opinion on the issue last year.

He wrote: ”Aren’t beautiful young women more attractive in at least some fashionable clothes?”

He went on: ”Brit feminists bang on forever about page 3. I bet never buy paper. I think old fashioned but readers seem to disagree.”

The paper’s editor has defended the controversial feature in the past, saying women readers fully support it.

In 2013, David Dinsmore told BBC Radio 5 Live he was ”standing (his) ground” despite pressure from politicians, anti-sexism campaigners and student bodies.

He said: ”I think that it is a lively issue for people who don’t buy the paper and we’ve done the research, done the focus groups and in many ways listened to the campaigners to say: ‘What does it mean to our readers?’

”The result comes back a resounding ‘keep it there, don’t take it away’.”

The No More Page 3 campaign group was founded in August 2012 by actress L ucy-Anne Holmes.

It has support from a wide variety of groups such as Girlguiding UK, Mumsnet, several trade unions including Unison, the Scottish Parliament and Breast Cancer UK.

The protesters said they wanted the feature to be ” removed voluntarily” rather than banned.

Published: Monday 19th January 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search