Pensioner dies trying to save girls

Published: Sunday 5th July 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

A pensioner has died while trying to save two teenage girls from the sea.

The 75-year-old man got into difficulties as he helped a second man rescue the teenagers in Tywyn, Gwynedd, north-west Wales, at about 4.15pm yesterday.

He was recovered unconscious from the water by RNLI crews from Aberdovey, who tried to revive him at the scene. He was airlifted to hospital by the Coastguard rescue helicopter but later died.

The second man and the two girls were rescued and the teenagers were taken to hospital as a precaution.

Less than an hour earlier, Criccieth RNLI crew and Harlech Coastguard Rescue Team saved a 16-year-old boy and a 14-year-old girl who got into difficulties in the water further north off Harlech Castle.

Both were taken to hospital by air ambulance but their condition is not known.

The two incidents during the warm weather have sparked a warning from North Wales Police for the public to take extra care in the sea and avoid taking risks.

Tributes were posted on the Love Tywyn Facebook page after photographs were published of the rescue operation.

Gareth Guest said: “Unfortunately my dad (74) drowned after he’d helped save two girls who were in difficulty. Everyone has been very kind. He was that kind of person. I am going to miss him very much, as is the rest of my family.”

Ceri Donovan said: “We are devastated by what has happened to my Dad. Thanks for the kind words x.”

Amy Martin said: “I am so very sorry to hear this. What heroic actions by your father, you should be immensely proud and I am sure the two girls’ families will be forever thankful for his sacrifice. My thoughts are with you and your family at this very difficult time. Be strong x.”

Lifeboat operation manager Dave Williams, said: “We were called at 3.47pm and told two youngsters had been swept out to sea. There was a rip current that dragged them out to sea and they got into difficulties.

“When we arrived we found a man in the water. We did CPR and then as soon as the Coastguard helicopter arrived he was transferred to hospital.

“A member of the public happened to be there surfing and had helped some of the people back to land. They were about 30 to 40 metres away from the shore.”

Published: Sunday 5th July 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search