Police apologise over abuse probes

p23642UK-News-3-1

Published: Wednesday 11th February 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

A police force has apologised to alleged victims after “uncovering problems with the effectiveness” of 30 child abuse investigations.

Most of the cases relate to the work of the child abuse investigation team covering the north of Essex. All the investigations have been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

Deputy Chief Constable Derek Benson said: “I was very disappointed to learn of this and I am now determined that we find out exactly what has happened and rectify things quickly, not least for the victims.

“We have contacted the families of those involved in these investigations to let then know what is happening and apologise for the undoubted distress.”

Mr Benson said an experienced retired detective has been brought in to review the live investigations being conducted in the north of the force area.

He said: “If individuals have failed in their duties then they will be held to account, but we will also look at the possible aspects of why this has happened.”

A special helpline has been set up for victims of families worried about child abuse investigations by Essex Police. Those concerned can contact 01245 282103.

Mr Benson confirmed one police officer had been suspended while 11 officers had been put on restrictive duties.

None of them currently work in child abuse investigations, he said.

The cases relate to 59 alleged victims, including some very young children.

Some of the cases are historic and date back to the late 1960s and early 1970s, he said.

Published: Wednesday 11th February 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search