Police probed over killing response

p32854UK-News-10-1

Published: Friday 3rd April 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Two police officers have been interviewed under caution and placed on restricted duty while they are investigated over suggestions they failed to properly respond to an incident in which a man was killed.

The claims came to light during an ongoing misconduct investigation, the Metropolitan police said.

A file has been handed to the Crown Prosecution Service regarding the Croydon sergeants, who have not been suspended.

Andrew Else, 52, was stabbed more than 200 times during an incident in Selsdon Park Road, Croydon in April last year.

Paranoid schizophrenic Ephraim Norman, 24, earlier this year pleaded guilty to manslaughter by reason of diminished responsibility and was ordered to be detained indefinitely at maximum security hospital Broadmoor.

Local officers were on the scene of the attack within seven minutes, Scotland Yard said.

Detective Chief Superintendent Alaric Bonthron, from the Directorate of Professional Standards (DPS), said: “The suggestion that any police officer has in some way failed to do their duty and respond properly to any call for a response must be fully and properly investigated.

“If any officer has failed in their duty it is only right that they are held to account.

“Every day in London police officers work hard to keep the public safe. Allegations such as these trouble us all.”

One of the sergeants had been moved from a policing team over allegations of “inappropriate behaviour” reported in January last year, police said.

Those allegations were reported to the DPS and referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission who advised the investigation should be carried out locally.

The latest allegations over the handling of the call in response to the killing of Mr Else led to the decision to place both sergeants on restricted duties, the Met said.

Published: Friday 3rd April 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search