Police review al-Fayed rape claim

p24266UK-News-4-1

Published: Sunday 15th February 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Police are reassessing an allegation of rape against business tycoon Mohamed al-Fayed.

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said the claims were first reported in 2013 and no further action was taken, but officers were reviewing the case in light of new information.

The 86-year-old former Harrods owner issued a denial of the claims and expressed his “dismay” that the case was being reviewed.

In a statement to the Sunday Mirror, the Egyptian billionaire said: “I am saddened that, after extensive investigations by the Metropolitan Police Service in 2013, the original complainant feels compelled to request the MPS to review their original decision.

“I fully co-operated with the MPS during their initial investigations after which no charges were brought against me and the file was closed.

“As I said originally, I completely deny any wrongdoing in this matter and refute the complainant’s allegations.”

His spokesman added: “The Metropolitan Police today confirmed no new evidence had been offered by the complainant and they fully expect their review to be completed early next week.”

A Met spokesman said: “We can confirm the MPS investigated an allegation reported to us in October 2013. The matter was not proceeded with at the time. However we are reassessing the original investigation as a result of new information.”

Published: Sunday 15th February 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search