Poppi death secrecy must continue

p5277UK-News-9-1

Published: Monday 27th October 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Almost two years of secrecy surrounding the death of a 13-month-old child must be continued because of further police investigations and concerns for siblings, a High Court judge has ruled.

Last week a coroner took seven minutes to declare the death of Poppi Worthington was unexplained, leaving details of the case unexplained.

Today Mr Justice Peter Jackson, sitting in London, who has dealt with family proceedings connected to the case, said “some concern” had subsequently been expressed about the lack of information currently available to the public about the death in Cumbria on December 12 2012.

Explaining why he had not yet made public his own “fact-finding judgment” on the case given in March, the judge said: “As a result of the judgment further police investigations into Poppi’s death are now taking place.

“A decision by the Crown Prosecution Service may then follow.

“In the interests of justice it is essential that this process is allowed to take place without interference and that any criminal proceedings are not prejudicied.”

There have been two arrests relating to Poppi’s death, including her father Paul, 46, who was questioned on suspicion of sexually assaulting her. He has been released on conditional bail until December 17.

Published: Monday 27th October 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search