Search resumes for missing plane


Published: Monday 29th December 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

The search for a missing passenger jet carrying 162 people – including one Briton – has resumed.

The Airbus A320-200 lost contact with air traffic control at 7.24am local time yesterday (12.24am GMT), having taken off from Surabaya in Indonesia bound for Singapore almost two hours earlier.

The airline said 155 passengers, including 16 children and one infant, and seven crew, including two pilots, four flight attendants and one engineer, were on the flight.

The search had been suspended due to poor weather but an Indonesian official said it had resumed.

Twelve navy ships, five planes, three helicopters and a number of warships are searching an area of east and south-east Belitung island and nearby waters, First Admiral Sigit Setiayana of the Naval Aviation Centre Commander at the Surabaya air force base said.

He told the Associated Press visibility for the search is good.

“God willing, we can find it soon,” he said.

A British national, named as Chi Man Choi, according to reports of the passenger manifest in the Indonesian media, is among those on board the plane.

He is thought to have been travelling with his daughter, Zoe, on tickets bought on Boxing Day.

He is believed to hold a British passport but live in Singapore with his family.

Published: Monday 29th December 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search