Trekker searches to be called off

p3704UK-News-9-1

Published: Monday 20th October 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Searches for trekkers in Nepal are due to be called off, local authorities said, as Britons in the area are being urged to contact their families to let them know they are safe.

Rescue workers said they believe everyone on the routes, which were hit by a series of blizzards and avalanches that killed at least 38 people, is now safe.

Yadav Koirala of Nepal’s disaster management division said: “We believe that all the trekkers and guides have been helped and as far as we know there are no more people stranded on the route.”

A number of British families are thought to still be awaiting news of their relatives following the weather disaster and t he Foreign Office has updated its travel advice to the region warning against trekking in the Thorang-La pass area on the Annapurna circuit and asking trekkers who are already there to get in touch with loved ones.

It has been working with local authorities in Nepal to account for every Briton believed to be in the affected area, but a spokeswoman said they are not aware of any British casualties.

The updated advice read: “To British nationals who have been travelling in the affected areas: you are encouraged to get in touch with relatives by telephone or social media.

“Please also contact the British Embassy consular section in Kathmandu to confirm your whereabouts.

“If you cannot phone internationally we can pass your message to concerned relatives.”

It also encouraged travellers planning on trekking in Nepal to check conditions with local authorities and use reputable guide companies.

People from Canada, India, Israel, Slovakia, Poland and Japan, died in the blizzards and avalanches in the Himalayas last week, along with nine Nepalese porters.

Published: Monday 20th October 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search