16 Turkish workers kidnapped in Iraq released

Published: Wednesday 30th September 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

A group of Turkish workers who were kidnapped in Iraq earlier this month have been released, Turkey’s state-run news agency said.

The Anadolu Agency said they were freed in the city of Basra and were travelling to Baghdad. Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said 16 workers were released. Previous reports had given the number as 18.

The men, employed by Turkish construction company Nurol Insaat, were snatched from a construction site in Baghdad’s Shiite-dominated Sadr City on September 2. An Iraqi national was kidnapped along with the Turks.

The group that captured them had demanded that Turkey halt the flow of militants into Iraq, lift what it called a “siege” on Syrian Shiite cities and stop the passage of oil from Iraq’s northern Kurdish region via Turkey in defiance of Baghdad.

Published: Wednesday 30th September 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search