Artillery pulled back in Ukraine

p28365World-News-6-1

Published: Tuesday 10th March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Ukraine’s president says government and Russian-backed separatist forces have pulled back the bulk of their artillery and rocket launchers from the front-line in the east, in compliance with a ceasefire deal.

Petro Poroshenko told a state broadcaster that some heavy weaponry remains in place at the airport of the rebel-held city of Donetsk, however.

Progress in the arms withdrawal process agreed at high-level peace talks last month will boost attempts to bring a definitive end to a conflict that has killed more than 6,000 and displaced 1.5 million people.

The pull-back is being overseen by hundreds of monitors from the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe, which has complained of a lack of co-operation by the warring sides.

Published: Tuesday 10th March 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search