Beachgoers back after shark horror


Published: Tuesday 16th June 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Beachgoers have cautiously returned to the ocean after two young people lost limbs in separate, life-threatening shark attacks in the same town in North Carolina.

A 12-year-old girl lost her left arm below the elbow and suffered a leg injury on Sunday afternoon – then about one hour and 20 minutes later a shark bit off a 16-year-old boy’s left arm above the elbow just two miles away.

Both had been swimming about 20 yards offshore in waist-deep water.

A shark expert said the best response after one of these extremely rare attacks was to temporarily close beaches that lacked lifeguards. Local authorities acknowledged that they did not make a concerted effort to warn people along the town’s beaches until after the second attack.

Most beachgoers near the spot alongside a fishing pier where the first victim was attacked were staying in very shallow water or on the sand.

Holly Helmig, 39, of Raleigh, watched her six-year-old son bobbing on a boogie board in shin-deep water instead of splashing in the waves further out. Her five-year-old daughter Zoe shovelled sand in a bucket next to her.

“I feel bad for the shark but I think he’s hiding somewhere in the ocean,” Zoe said.

Deputies saw a 7ft shark on Sunday in an area between the two places where the attacks happened, Sheriff John Ingram said.

Sharks of that size are common along the coast, Oak Island Town manager Tim Holloman said, and authorities are not trying to hunt one down. But safety officials scouted for sharks from boats and a helicopter yesterday and one was spotted in the morning.

Recordings of emergency calls include several people calling each attack in, some sounding nearly hysterical. The victims, a girl from Asheboro and a boy from Colorado Springs, Colorado, were bleeding heavily and other beachgoers applied makeshift tourniquets.

“His arm is gone!” said one woman caller near where the boy was attacked.

Randy Giles, 52, was sitting on the sand with his fiancee Schalane Wolford when he heard the girl scream and called the emergency services immediately, before she was carried to the beach.

“At first I thought it was a jellyfish sting, but when (the man next to her) pulled her out of the water, she was bleeding and a lot of her arm was bit off, so I knew it was a shark,” he said.

As people screamed to get out of the water, Mr Giles said Ms Wolford ran over to give the family her towels and someone else used a cord from a boogie board as a tourniquet for the girl’s arm.

After the second attack, town employees drove along beaches urging people to get out, but the instructions were voluntary and not mandatory. The town has no ordinance authorising officials to order the surf cleared even if sharks present a threat, Mr Holloman said. As a result, they take their direction from a state law guaranteeing public access to beaches.

Surgeons amputated the girl’s left arm below her elbow, and she has tissue damage to her lower left leg. The boy’s left arm was removed below his left shoulder. Both were in a good condition at the New Hanover Regional Medical Centre in Wilmington, where Dr Borden Hooks operated on both victims.

There were only 72 unprovoked shark attacks on humans around the world in 2014, including 52 in the US, according to the International Shark Attack File at the Florida Museum of Natural History. Three of them, all outside the US, were fatal.

Shark researcher George Burgess, who oversees the database, said he was aware of only two other multiple shark attacks on the same beach in one day. “It may be that there are big schools of fish out in the surf zone that are attracting the sharks,” he said.

Published: Tuesday 16th June 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search