Bomb threat closes train station

p19164World-News-1-1

Published: Friday 16th January 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Paris police evacuated the Gare de l’Est train station today after a bomb threat, as authorities across Europe pressed on with efforts to prevent new violence after the worst terrorist attacks in decades.

The Paris prosecutor’s office, meanwhile, said 10 people were arrested in anti-terrorism raids in the region, targeting people linked to a gunman who attacked a kosher supermarket and claimed ties to the Islamic State.

The developments, coming on the day that US secretary of state John Kerry arrived to “share a big hug with Paris”, came a day after Belgian police killed two suspected terrorists in a firefight and arrested a third man.

A French police official said the Gare de l’Est station was closed “as a precaution”. The station, one of several main stations in Paris, serves cities in eastern Paris and countries to the east.

In Berlin, police arrested two men Friday morning on suspicion of recruiting fighters for the so-called Islamic State group in Syria.

The Belgian raid on a former bakery was another palpable sign that terror had seeped deep into Europe’s heartland as security forces struck against militants some of who may be returnees from Islamic holy war in Syria. Federal magistrate Eric Van der Sypt said returnees were an important part of the targeted searches.

Across Europe, anxiety has grown as the manhunt continues for potential accomplices of the three Paris terrorists, all of whom were shot dead by French police. Authorities in Belgium signalled they were ready for more trouble by raising the national terror alert level from two to three, the second-highest level.

France is on edge since last week’s attacks, which began at the satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo. The paper, repeatedly threatened for its caricatures of the Muslim Prophet Muhammad, buried several of its murdered staff members Thursday even as it reprinted another weekly issue with Muhammad on its cover.

Defence officials said France came under an unprecedented cyber assault with 19,000 cyber attacks launched after the country’s bloodiest terrorist attacks in decades, frustrating authorities as they try to thwart repeat violence.

The attacks, mostly relatively minor denial-of-service attacks, hit sites as varied as military regiments to pizza shops but none appeared to have caused serious damage.

Published: Friday 16th January 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search