Both sides accused on Ukraine truce

p24442World-News-4-1

Published: Monday 16th February 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

The Ukrainian government and Russia-backed rebels have each accused the other of violating a ceasefire in eastern Ukraine.

Hopes for ending the 10-month long conflict rose after the truce was announced yesterday.

Separatist military spokesman Eduard Basurin said in a televised news conference today that the government launched an artillery strike overnight on Horlivka, a town under rebel control.

Ukraine, however, blamed the attack on the rebels.

Donetsk regional police chief Vyacheslav Abroskin said in a statement that the separatists shelled the town in order to derail the truce.

Both the separatists and the Ukrainian government reiterated their commitment to the ceasefire which was brokered last week in 16-hour talks involving the presidents of Russia and Ukraine as well as Western leaders.

Published: Monday 16th February 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search