Child becomes first migrant casualty of 2016

Published: Sunday 3rd January 2016 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

A total of 217 migrants have been rescued by Greek and EU authorities over the first weekend of the new year in four separate incidents, Greece’s coast guard said.

A coast guard spokeswoman said conditions in the eastern Aegean Sea were “very unfavourable” with high winds prevailing.

The first casualty of the year, a boy, died on Saturday when an inflatable dinghy carrying 40 people was thrown into rocks off the Greek island of Agathonisi. The others were rescued, including a woman who had been thrown into the sea during the crash.

On Sunday, 56 people had been rescued so far, according to the coast guard.

Published: Sunday 3rd January 2016 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search