First suspect held over Cologne sex assaults

Published: Monday 18th January 2016 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

A 26-year-old Algerian man has been arrested in Germany on suspicion of committing a sexual assault in Cologne during the city’s New Year’s celebrations.

The unidentified asylum seeker was arrested at a refugee home in the nearby town of Kerpen over the weekend, Cologne prosecutors said on Monday.

The man is the first person to be held on sexual offence related charges, after a string of assaults in Cologne that sparked a debate about integration in Germany.

Prosecutor’s office spokesman Ulrich Bremer said that a total of 497 women have come forward so far alleging sexual assault, including three rapes.

The suspect in custody is accused of groping a woman and stealing her mobile phone.

A total of 21 people have been charged with non-sexual offences.

Published: Monday 18th January 2016 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search