France seeks swift extradition for Paris attacks suspect

Published: Saturday 19th March 2016 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

The top suspect in last year’s deadly Paris attacks, who was captured in Belgium after four months on the run, is due to face police questioning and a fast-track effort to extradite him to France.

Salah Abdeslam, a French national, is subject to a European arrest warrant issued by France.

The 26-year-old was seized on Friday in Molenbeek, Brussels, and was taken to hospital after being shot in the leg.

French anti-terror judges could file an extradition request as early as this weekend.

A 2002 European agreement speeds up the process for particularly grave cases. Families of the victims and survivors have said they want Abdeslam to face justice in France.

Speaking in Brussels, French president Francois Hollande said he is sure the Belgian authorities will answer an extradition request “as favourably as possible, as soon as possible”.

On November 13 last year, Islamic extremists killed 130 people at a rock concert, the French national stadium and cafes in Paris.

Published: Saturday 19th March 2016 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search