Hundreds dead in Ukraine ceasefire

p1535World-News-7-1

Published: Wednesday 8th October 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

At least 331 deaths have been reported in eastern Ukraine since last month’s ceasefire between Russian-backed separatists and government troops, the United Nations said.

The office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights said hostilities are continuing in the main rebel-held city of Donetsk, as well as around the towns of Debaltseve and Schastye.

At least 3,660 people have been killed over six months of fighting, according to UN estimates. Some deaths reported since the September 5 truce might have happened before that date.

Fighting in Donetsk has focused primarily around the government-controlled airport, where shelling has taken place daily. Residential areas are frequently hit by inaccurate rocket fire.

Donetsk city hall today reported three more civilian deaths overnight from shelling.

Published: Wednesday 8th October 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search