McDonald’s to unveil revival plan

p38127World-News-5-1

Published: Monday 4th May 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

McDonald’s is set to unveil its latest plans to revive its sputtering business today.

The plans are to be detailed just two months after chief executive Steve Easterbrook stepped in to take charge of the world’s biggest hamburger chain.

McDonald’s is fighting intensifying competition from a variety of players and has admitted that it failed to keep up with changing tastes. Sales in Asia took a big hit after a controversy over a major supplier, and business in Europe has been weak.

In its flagship US market, executives said the menu got too complicated and gummed up operations. Customer visits at established locations declined for two straight years.

McDonald’s has already tried a number of moves to inject some life back in to its brand.

Back in December, it said it would start trimming its menu to simplify operations and make room for new offerings. More recently, it began testing an all-day breakfast menu in San Diego, revamped its grilled chicken recipe and said it would curb the use of antibiotics.

The company also said last month that it would double its planned restaurant closures this year to roughly 700. It hasn’t yet announced its updated plans on overall restaurant count growth. At the end of last year, McDonald’s had more than 36,200 locations around the world.

Easterbrook, who previously headed the UK business, says he wants to turn McDonald’s into a “modern, progressive burger company” and has described himself as an “internal activist”.

Published: Monday 4th May 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search