No civil claim against Pistorius

p2623World-News-3-1

Published: Wednesday 15th October 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

The parents of Reeva Steenkamp say they will not pursue a civil claim against Oscar Pistorius for killing their daughter.

Barry and June Steenkamp said in a statement issued through their lawyer that they will also hand back monthly payments of 550 US dollars (£345) made to them by Pistorius from March last year to September this year.

The Steenkamps said they had decided in the past few weeks not to pursue a civil settlement from Pistorius after his criminal trial ends.

Revelations over payments to the Steenkamps by the Olympic runner were made during his sentencing hearing yesterday. The chief prosecutor said the Steenkamps had refused another offer of 34,000 dollars (£21,000) from Pistorius and considered it “blood money”.

Pistorius was found guilty of culpable homicide, or negligent killing, in Steenkamp’s shooting death.

The sentencing hearing will continue later this morning.

Published: Wednesday 15th October 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search