Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam handed over to France

Published: Wednesday 27th April 2016 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Salah Abdeslam, a key suspect in the Paris terror attacks, has been handed over to French authorities, Belgian prosecutors have said.

Abdeslam, arrested in Belgium last month after four months on the run, is wanted by France for his role in the attacks in the capital on November 13 last year in which 130 people were killed.

A statement from the Belgium Federal Prosecutor’s Office said Abdeslam was delivered to French authorities on Wednesday morning under a March 19 European arrest warrant.

French lawyer Frank Berton said he will defend Abdeslam, and described him as a young man “falling apart” and ready to co-operate.

Abdeslam, whose brother blew himself up in the Paris attacks, is charged with attempted murder over a March 15 shootout with police in Brussels. He was arrested three days later.

Belgian police have been questioning him about potential links to the three suicide bombers who attacked Brussels Airport and a subway station on March 22, killing 32.

The Paris prosecutor’s office said Abdeslam will face investigative judges later on Wednesday for eventual charges.

The prosecutor’s office will ask that he be jailed, a likely formality in Abdeslam’s case.

Published: Wednesday 27th April 2016 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search