Security revamp ‘set for July 1’

p46256World-News-3-1

Published: Tuesday 30th June 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Tunisia’s president has said a heightened security system for the month of Ramadan was all set to be implemented on July 1, with plans finalised before the beach attack that left 38 tourists dead last week.

In an interview with Europe 1 radio, Beji Caid Essebsi said the security plan had been ready, but was not yet in place when a lone gunman attacked the beach resort of Sousse on Friday.

Mr Essebsi admitted: “It’s true, we were surprised by the affair. The system of protection was set to start on July 1.”

He was elected on promises to return security to the country.

Police killed the gunman, Seifeddine Rezgui, after his rampage and seven of his suspected accomplices have since been arrested.

Mr Essebsi said an inquiry had been opened into any security failures.

Published: Tuesday 30th June 2015 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search