Two Italians freed from Islamic State in western Libya

Published: Friday 4th March 2016 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Two Italian hostages have been freed from Islamic State captivity in western Libya, local officials say.

Gino Pollicardo and Filippo Calcagno were freed from a house in a north-western district of Sabratha, according to Hussein al-Zawadi, head of the city’s council.

The area has seen fierce fighting between IS and local forces.

Mr al-Zawadi said the Italians had broken down the front door themselves, and local fighters came to their aid after being tipped off by neighbours.

The council leader said the Italians were in “good condition” although they had not eaten for a week.

He confirmed that two other Italian hostages had been killed in recent clashes between IS militants and troops loyal to the Tripoli government and their allied militias.

Published: Friday 4th March 2016 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search