Ukraine attempts fresh ceasefire

p13425World-News-5-1

Published: Tuesday 9th December 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Ukraine’s military authorities have said they are suspending hostilities against Russian-backed separatists in the east in line with a truce declared last week.

Officials said today that they are acting in accord with a “day of silence” proposed by President Petro Poroshenko.

The halting of hostilities marks a new effort at reviving a September ceasefire that has been violated daily. Authorities in Kiev said the truce could lay the foundation for longer-term peace.

Separatist rebel leaders said they have agreed to the terms of the “day of silence”.

Sustained rocket attacks were being carried out in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions until yesterday.

Ukrainian officials said today that government-controlled residential areas and armed positions had come under fire 64 times over the previous 24-hour period.

Published: Tuesday 9th December 2014 by The News Editor

Comments (0)

Local business search